The weather provided by WorldWeatherOnline.com is not currently available.
Maesdu Golf club was founded in 1915 as the first municipally owned course in Wales. It was developed as part of the “Come to Llandudno” initiative to attract sporting visitors and international tourists to the seaside resort. Tom Jones was appointed as the professional in 1915. He remained in this postion at Maesdu for nearly 50 years and had the honour of being made Club Captain in 1962. Tom Jones had a very high reputation as a golf teacher and served as the first Welsh Chairman of the PGA.
The course was designed by James Braid and Tom Jones and was extended in 1924 with a semi-parkland, semi-links design. The layout and order of holes changed over time and the current course has been played for over 40 years.
It became one of Britain's top professional venues in the 1950's and 1960's, regularly hosting the famous Penfold Swallow tournament. The event attracted professional’s including Peter Alliss and Henry Cotton who admired the blend of parkland and links golf and the broad expanse of scenery. More recently it has been a regular host of Welsh championship events.
The original clubhouse was replaced in 1964 following years of fund raising by members, a grant from Llandudno Council and the free services of local craftsmen. It has been extended and upgraded to provide excellent and comfortable facilities for members and visitors. In 1974 it became a limted company with a new Management Council with men and lady representatives and the new name of Llandudno Golf Club (Maesdu) Ltd. In 1995 the membership approved the purchase of a 99 year lease from the local Council for the course and clubhouse which guaranteed a long term future for the club.
There has always been an enthusiastic and active mens, ladies and junior membership taking playing many trophy competitions, team matches and friendly social golf.
With the club commitment to tourism in the area visitors have always been made welcome and are an essential part of the day to day activities of the Club.
The September Open meeting, started in 1922, is an important part of the golf calendar and it helps to extend the tourist season for Llandudno.